Today was another plan ahead cooking day!
It’s been very busy at work, so time is limited for cooking healthy meals. I don’t want to revert to my old ways of “convenience” processed food and take-out, so I have been using my slow cooker (crock pot) a couple of days a week. It’s been a great time saver, but I was recently reminded about the crock pot/slow cooker lead problem. So, I am trying NOT to use it until I perhaps test the crock with a home lead test.
So, today in the oven:
- A big pot of bolognese sauce (inspired by Cristina Ferrare’s Big Bowl of Love Bolognese recipe)
- Braising two large boneless chuck steaks (London Broil) with onions, warm spices (cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, pepper, paprika) and wine. Unfortunately the beef was mostly frozen when I started, so when I tried to sear, it was just steaming. It didn’t matter though. I tasted a bite, and it was fabulous!
- I also decided to make a batch of brown rice in the already hot oven for use later in the week.
The Meal Plan:
- Bolognese sauce with pasta tonight.
- Cooked extra pasta for our lunches for either tomorrow or Tuesday
- Even after dividing into 4 portions, there is still some bolognese sauce left-over, so I think on Tuesday, that’ll be transformed into chili with beans and rice.
- The braised beef has been divided into freezer bags. It’ll be enough for three separate dinners, including a small portion for transformation into soup or stew.
- I also have boneless chicken defrosting in the fridge, and tomorrow or Tuesday, I’ll make chicken soup with rice. That’s usually a quick easy meal.
- We’ll have a meatless meal sometime later in the week. It might be a great time to finally try making a pizza with homemade flatbread!
- Gotta try to fit in salmon, and that could be a good day for DH to have left-overs. (He doesn’t eat fish)
I’m also considering a rice cooker purchase. It’s difficult to find a rice cooker that’s NOT non-stick, but these Vitaclay rice slow cookers look promising.
2 thoughts on “Plan Ahead Cooking Sunday”
Here’s another one for your Bolognese:
Get a nice loaf of Ciabatta & slice it in half the long way. Lay the halves on a baking sheet, cut side up & drizzle with EVOO. Toast in the oven for a few minutes until they get a little crispy. Top generously with leftover Bolognese (I warm it first), slices of fresh mozzarella & put in the oven until the cheese is melted. I like to sprinkle with fresh basil or oregano after it comes out of the oven. :)
Melissa, I love when you comment on my blog! Thank you!!!
I also love your idea. oh I adore bread pizza, and the bolognese would be a great topper. I wish I had a little bit left to try it out.
I guess that means I must make a new batch this weekend!!!! hahaa