Project Food Budget Weekly total: $149.50
My healthy budget goal is to eat seasonal (local if possible,) home-cooked meals while sticking to a $400 monthly budget for all food including groceries, dining out, entertaining, vitamins/supplements, and gardening.
There’s two of us eating (mostly) 3 meals per day. My husband occasionally eats take-out lunch at work, & that $ comes out of his personal cash stash.
Aug – Month Ten, Week One
This week, I spent $149.50. That leaves $250.50 for the rest of August.
The first week is always a bit higher. I needed some basic pantry items from iHerb.com. Love that store!!! We also hosted a big pot luck party for DH’s previous co-workers. Fun!
I have high hopes that it’ll be a good budgeting month.
My veggie garden is starting to REALLY payoff, I feel so sustainable! hehee Between the tomatoes, pickling cukes, beets, and eggplant, I yielded my first red cabbage! Exciting! I hope I can keep growing well into the cooler months!
Entertaining: $35.87 – bbq potluck party at our house
iHerb.com $39.71: Bob’s Red Mill 7 grain hot cereal, Frontier organic dried rosemary, (2) Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat flours, Lundberg short grain brown rice, California Olive Ranch Arbosana oil, and Simply Organic Madagascar vanilla extract
Whole Foods Market $26.11: Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar, organic plain yogurt, organic half & half, canned organic tomatoes, organic fruit spread, Jarslberg cheese, organic champagne grapes, cantaloupe, organic bananas, and organic celery
Meat CSA $11.96: Center cut pork chops (Luckily, products from the Meat CSA are paid in full, so technically no real money is actually spent, but I apply the cost to my budget as we consume it.)
Local Farmstand $10.07: blueberries, yellow squash, & peaches
Market Basket $11.29: (3) jars salsa, King Arthur white flour
Whole Foods Market (2nd trip) $9.46: Organic champagne grapes, local peaches, organic bananas, and cantaloupe
Week of Meals
- Wednesday: BBQ pork chops with leftover brown rice topped with sautéed garden tomatoes, spring onion, celery & garden eggplant
- Thursday: Late lunch at parents. DH had toast broiled with swiss & tomatoes
- Friday: Stir fry with garden eggplant, garden cabbage, garden tomatoes, scallions, garden beet greens, celery, summer squash over barley topped with fried egg
- Saturday: BBQ pot luck at our house
- Sunday: Sautéed garden tomatoes, garden eggplant, celery, scallions, & garden cabbage over brown rice
- Monday: Garden potatoes, onions, garden beets topped with fried eggs & salsa
- Tuesday: Homemade flatbread pizza with swiss, salsa, garden tomatoes & homemade pickled onions
- Wednesday: Leftover frozen hotdog sandwiches with homemade pickled cukes & onions, with a side of sautéed garden eggplant, bell pepper, scallions, celery
Want to Join the Project Food Budget?
It’s never too late to join the Project Food Budget!
If you’d like to participate, get the details and let Emily know you’re on board!
Here’s who else is budgeting this week: