I found a great “cooking challenge group” called Kitchen Bootcamp. The challenge this month is yeast bread, so I’m trying to bake out of my comfort zone.
It’s tough because when I bake bread (twice a week), I just don’t have the time to experiment with new techniques, but when I realized my loaf pan was in the dishwasher, it forced me to improvise.
I baked 6 smaller loaves. Two in smaller loaf pans, and four rolls in 2 small glass baking dishes. I need more experience with baking smaller rolls, and this was good practice. Next time, I am going for real rolls!
This recipe isn’t 100% whole grain, but it’s still a very good source of fiber! No added sugar, except for 3 Tbsp of Orange Juice.
I didn’t have much trouble shaping the dough, but they did stick to the pans slightly, even when they were oiled. The bread tasted delicious though, and that’s all that matters in the end, right?
Continue reading “Whole Wheat Rye Sunflower Caraway Bread”
Made a new bread this afternoon. Just had a slice, and it’s hearty and wheaty tasting!
Modified from my regular 100% whole wheat recipe that I based on the Walnut Whole Wheat Bread recipe from King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book.
- 2 Tbsp Almond Oil (olive oil or any other vegetable oil)
- 2 Tbsp of molasses (or honey)
- Approx 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp lukewarm water (IMPORTANT: the molasses is mixed into the water to equal a total of 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 tsp salt (I use sea salt, and lowered the amount from my previous recipes; I’ll probably lower it even more next time)
- 12 oz or 3 cups – mixture of traditional and white whole wheat flour.
- 2.5 tsp instant yeast
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup wheatgerm
- 1/2 cup raw hulled (unsalted) sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp dried Rosemary herb
Continue reading “100% Whole Grain Wheat & Rosemary Sunflower Bread Recipe”