I found a great “cooking challenge group” called Kitchen Bootcamp. The challenge this month is yeast bread, so I’m trying to bake out of my comfort zone.
It’s tough because when I bake bread (twice a week), I just don’t have the time to experiment with new techniques, but when I realized my loaf pan was in the dishwasher, it forced me to improvise.
I baked 6 smaller loaves. Two in smaller loaf pans, and four rolls in 2 small glass baking dishes. I need more experience with baking smaller rolls, and this was good practice. Next time, I am going for real rolls!
This recipe isn’t 100% whole grain, but it’s still a very good source of fiber! No added sugar, except for 3 Tbsp of Orange Juice.
I didn’t have much trouble shaping the dough, but they did stick to the pans slightly, even when they were oiled. The bread tasted delicious though, and that’s all that matters in the end, right?
Continue reading “Whole Wheat Rye Sunflower Caraway Bread”
Oh gosh, have I mentioned how much I love the smell of caraway seeds. I bought a bag at Penzey’s yesterday, and they smell heavenly. I wanted to use them in bread, but I needed to find a 100% whole grain bread, as so many rye bread recipes are made with white flour.
I found what looked like a good recipe on Teri’s Kitchen and I altered it a little bit for my needs.
My Modified Ingredients:
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1.5 Tbsp olive oil (that’s 1 T + 1.5 tsp for those that don’t have a 1/2 T spoon)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (I used 1 cup white whole wheat and 1/2 cup regular whole wheat)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp rye flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ (I think that’s what I used. My container wasn’t labeled from Whole Food bulk)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds (meal)
- 2 Tbsp caraway seeds (oh the smell is soo delish)
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1.5 tsp instant yeast
Added all ingredients into my Breadman Bread Machine. (note: I am a little worried about my bread machine, it’s really making a loud clanging noise, like marbles are rolling around inside it – I think something is going to give very soon)
Continue reading “Whole Grain Wheat, Rye, Oat Bread with Caraway Seeds”