Project Food Budget Weekly total: $68.76
My healthy budget goal is to eat seasonal (local if possible,) home-cooked meals while sticking to a $400 monthly budget for all food including groceries, dining out, entertaining, vitamins/supplements, and gardening.
There’s two of us eating (mostly) 3 meals per day. My husband occasionally eats take-out lunch at work, & that $ comes out of his personal cash stash.
August – Month Ten, Week Two
This week, I spent $68.76, with a monthly total of $218.26. That leaves $181.74 for the rest of August.
Dining Out: $18.02
This was a good week!
I’m excited that our vegetable garden is really working.
Crazy amounts of eggplant and tomatoes, with fresh oregano, basil, and an occasional jalapeno pepper make a great slow-baked sauce to freeze for consumption during colder months! Pickling cukes are yummy for my lunch and for homemade pickles! I’ve picked a couple of my red cabbages too.
Next year, I will try to weigh all my harvests, but for now I’m taking photos, for keeping track, but I have no doubt that my garden is helping us save a ton on our budget!
For one example, I’ve been checking prices, and a 1/2 pint of sungold tomatoes are selling for $5 at the local farm store. I’ve been harvesting at least 1/2 pint+ every other day! What a savings! That’s not even including the red cherry tomatoes or my large beefy tomatoes!
Meat CSA $15.88: Eye round roast (Luckily, products from the Meat CSA are paid in full, so technically no real money is actually spent, but I apply the cost to my budget as we consume it.)
Local Farmstand $8.00: 2 dozen jumbo eggs & bell boppers
Wilson Farm (local large farm store) $8.12: Dozen corn on the cob, 2 large bunches of scallions, leeks, green beans
Trader Joes $18.74: (2) bags o’ peanuts, pecans, feta cheese, quart of whole milk, organic raisins
Week of Meals
- Thursday: Eye round beef with corn on cob
- Friday: Eye round beef tossed in with garden tomatoes, garden eggplant, celery, peppers over grains
- Saturday: Birthday party
- Sunday: Oven roasted garden tomatoes, garden eggplants, dads garden bell pepper over pasta
- Monday: Soup with leftover frozen eye roast, green beans, leeks, garden cabbage, garden tomatoes, garden jalapeño pepper in homemade veg stock over brown rice
- Tuesday: Leftover soup with leftover frozen hotdogs sandwich
- Wednesday: Homemade pizza on BBQ grill with feta, garden tomatoes, & garden basil
Want to Join the Project Food Budget?
It’s never too late to join the Project Food Budget!
If you’d like to participate, get the details and let Emily know you’re on board!
Here’s who else is budgeting this week: