Project: Food Budget Weekly total: $103.97
My healthy budget goal is to eat seasonal, home-cooked meals while sticking to a
$400 $350 monthly budget for all food including groceries, dining out, entertaining, vitamins/supplements, and gardening.
There’s two of us eating 3 (mostly) meals per day. My husband occasionally eats take-out lunch at work, & that $ comes out of his personal cash stash.
May – Month Seven, Week Three
This week, I’ve spent $103.97, with a monthly total of $200.42. That leaves $149.58 for the rest of May.
Hmm, I went a little overboard this week. I fully expected to stick closer to my estimated $60, but with Mother’s Day entertaining and a husband craving Chinese take-out, I spent over $100.
I think I’ll be okay for the rest of the month though.
Dining Out: $17.00
Market Basket (5/10) $23.10: mushrooms, cara cara oranges, (2) limes, crown broccoli, red grapefruit, bananas, flour, molasses, baking powder, (4) Hunt’s whole tomatoes, brown mustard
Whole Foods (5/11) $21.66: 5lb bag o’ organic carrots, organic strawberries, 4 lb bag o’ oranges, vidalia onions, organic celery, asparagus
Other $13.00: (3) bottles of cheap wine and back to the store for a few bananas.
Meat CSA $11.88: Fresh pork ham steak (Luckily, products from the Meat CSA are technically paid in full, so no real money is actually spent, but I apply the cost to my budget as we consume it.)
Lessons Learned This Week
- I couldn’t resist purchasing a package of organic strawberries (from Calif) this week. Yes, it was an impulsive buy, and it was not local, but I don’t think it was a poor choice, it was a special treat.
- Also, I had a further breakthrough on keeping true to what I really need. The Niman Ranch bacon was on sale, and I added it to my initial grocery list, but I later removed it. I have a freezer full of meat, so it’s silly to buy any more at the store, until most of the stuff I have is used. *** I resisted a sale item…yay!
Week of Meals
- Thursday: Egg brown rice bake w/ cheese, beet greens & broccoli
- Friday: Braised fresh pork ham steak with lentils and cream of carrot soup
- Saturday: Take-out Chinese
- Sunday: Mother’s Day celebration
- Monday: Whole wheat oatmeal caraway pancakes with maple syrup
- Tuesday: Pasta with tomato pepper sauce (I still have whole chilies in the freezer from last summer!)
- Wednesday: Bread Pizzas w/ feta
Want to Join the Project Food Budget?
It’s never too late to join the Project Food Budget!
If you’d like to participate, get the details and let Emily know you’re on board!
Here’s who else is budgeting this week:
- Emily Levenson
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Test Kitchen Tuesday
- Red Pen Mama
- Fit Flexitarian
- Warm As Pie
- Katy Rank Lev
- xox, b
- Project Food Budget 2.0
- Two Eggs Over Easy
- Eat Whole Be Vital
- Four Happy Violets
- Pgh Dad
- Charmingly Modern
- Six Dollars a Day
- What da Health?
- French Press
- Veggie Meal Maker
- Eryn Says