I got two larger zucchini squash this week in my CSA share and I decided to try baking a zucchini bread. To add a little extra flavor & nutrition, I tossed in wheat germ, dark chocolate, walnuts and sunflower seeds too. Yum! DH is not a fan of zucchini, and he even thought it tasted good.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread Ingredients
- 3/4 cup Almond Oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup raw wheat germ
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 to 2 cups grated zucchini (peeled)
- 1.8 oz dark chocolate
- 2 oz walnuts (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1 oz raw hulled sunflower seeds (approx 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease or lie parchment paper in a loaf pan
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- In a 3rd bowl, combine grated zucchini, chopped chocolate, sunflower seeds, and nuts
- Fold into the large bowl with wet & dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into baking dish
- Sprinkle top with 1 tsp granulated sugar (optional)
- Bake for approx 40-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I covered with aluminum foil after about 30 minutes so the top wouldn’t over bake.
My Extra Notes
- For this loaf, I used a half bar of Green & Black organic 70% dark chocolate
- I used my food processor to chop the dark chocolate and the nuts. I found it’s best to process the dark chocolate first, then the nuts, or the nuts will turn into powder. I did not process the sunflower seeds, I left them whole.
- I grated one large zucchini in the food processor but it was way too much. I used about 2 cups, but after seeing the finished product, I could have definitely added more. Next time, I might even try doubling the recipe to make a loaf plus some muffins. I think a medium zucchini would be fine for one recipe, but it wouldn’t hurt to add extra grated zucchini.
- I love using King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour in place of traditional whole wheat flour.
- I find it’s so much easier to use parchment paper as opposed to extra oil or grease when baking in glass Pyrex.
Total Loaf weighs approx 33 oz
Per 2 oz serving: