It’s Raw week over at the “I Heart Cooking Clubs” web site. Raw? Hmm, what kind of inventive dish could I make that’s raw?
I launched the Mark Bittman “How To Cook Everything” iPhone app and searched for “raw” – the first recipe that popped up was “Linguine with Raw Tomato Sauce” – oh that sounded good.
I was hungry for lunch this afternoon, so I decided to make one serving for me.
The ingredients and cooking steps are so simple, it’s laughable!
- Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 oz Freshly Grated Cheese (Pecorino, Parmesan)
- 2 oz Quinoa Pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Cook the pasta in boiling water
- In a bowl, mix chopped tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil.
- Scoop a spoon or two of pasta water into the bowl to warm it, then add the cooked pasta.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and add the grated cheese.
- Allow to sit for a minute or so to meld the flavors and ENJOY! I know I did. It was delicious! The perfect light lunch! Very fresh!
Mark Bittman’s original recipe calls for lightly crushed garlic, and next time, I’ll add it. (It should be removed before serving, if you don’t like raw garlic.) I will also try preparing the sauce ahead of time, allowing it to sit for the recommended hour or two.
Approximate Nutritional Data
Calculated for one serving – you can save more calories by using less oil and cheese